Dr Gangan Prathap is presently at APJ Abdul Kalam Technological University, Thiruvananthapuram and the Vidya Academy of Science and Technology, Thrissur. He was trained as an aerospace engineer and specialized in mathematical modeling and computer simulation of complex problems in aerospace engineering. For more than thirty years, he has also pursued a parallel interest in research evaluation, bibliometrics and scientometrics and the application of physical and mathematical insights for research assessment. In recent years, he has proposed a thermodynamic basis for bibliometric sequences which can lead to better indicators for research evaluation like the p-index, z-index and the EEE-sequences. He has served at many premier institutions in India like the CSIR-NAL, CSIR-C-MMACS (now CSIR 4PI), CUSAT, CSIR-NISCAIR and CSIR-NIIST.
B.Tech.(Aero. Engg.) IIT Madras 1974 First class with distinction and first rank
Ph.D. (Aero. Engg.) IIT Madras 1978
Academic Prizes, Honours and Awards
– National Prize for 1st rank in India, Joint Ent. Exam to IIT’s 1969
– President of India Prize for 1st rank in BTech Degree Course IIT Madras 1969-1974
– S S Bhatnagar Prize in Science and Technology for 1990
– Distinguished Alumnus Award 1999 of IIT Madras
Membership of Professional Societies:
1. Fellow of the Indian Academy of Sciences
2. Fellow of Indian National Science Academy
Major achievements/areas of work in which engaged during last 25 years
1. About 30 papers in the area of non-linear structural mechanics – contributed a definitive resolution to the long standing controversy regarding the physics and the mathematical modelling of the non-linear vibrations of thin shells
2. founding the basic principles of a science of the finite element formulation of constrained multi-strain field problems – statement of conceptual scheme, definition of the appropriate vocabulary for this new area, design of operational procedures to remove inconsistencies in constrained strain-field definitions and for error analyses etc. and the design and development of a library of field-consistent elements. The SS Bhatnagar Prize for Engineering in 1990 (the highest award for scientific research in the country) was awarded for this work.
3. the finite element analysis of composite structures – development of FEPACS – a general purpose package for analysis of composite structures.
4. Production run stress analysis of aircraft structures
5. Studies on Scientometrics
6. Studies in Quantitative Sociology
Human Resources Development
Have supervised the training programmes and guided 20 MTech and 5 PhD students.
Deputations/Visits abroad to Germany, China, USA, USSR, S Korea, France, Austria and S Africa
100 publications in International Journals; over 300 short papers, reports, technical memoranda, papers/lectures at Symposia and Conferences etc.
1 paper with over 100 citations, another 10 papers with over 20 cumulative citations and another 17 papers with 10-19 cumulative citations.
Book titled Finite Element method in Structural Mechanics, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dodrecht, Holland, 1993.
Book length review titled The Displacement Type Finite Element Approach – From Art to Science, Progress in Aerospace Sciences, an International Review Journal, 295-405, (1994).
Guest Editor, Special Issue of SADHANA on Computational Structural Mechanics, Vol. 21 Part 5, Oct. 1996.
Guest Editor (jointly with T K Varadan), Special Issue of SADHANA on Nonlinear Structural Analysis, Vol. 25, Part 4, Aug. 2000.
COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING TRIVANDRUMwww.cet.ac.in
GET IN TOUCH WITH USWe are always ready to help you. There are many ways to contact us. You may drop us a line, give us a call or send an email, choose what suits you most.
- School of Management, Engineering College P.O Trivandrum 695016
- 0471- 2598555
© Copyright 2016
Powered by Extrememedia